Rules for Scholarship contest. Please Read Carefully
For Students residing and attending post secondary school in British Columbia only.
All entrants must be:
- about to enter, or continue, a program of study at a post-secondary educational institution
- not a previous winner of this Scholarship
Up to two awards may be made. Each award will be for $500.
The award must be used only for tuition fees and must be used within 12 months of being granted.
Payment will be made either:
directly to the awardee on provision of a receipt from the institution, or
to the awardee’s account at the institution if:
- a) evidence of fees payment is provided, and
- b) it states that the award is refundable only to the BCCHS if the award is not used.
BASIS of AWARDS
To enter applicants must provide:
- an original piece of rhyming cowboy poetry (other poetry will not be accepted)
- each entry should be accompanied by a completed, and signed entry form
From the entries the judges will select up to two poets to be awarded a one year, $500 scholarship.
SELECTION PROCESS AND ENTRY CRITERIA
A small panel of Judges will determine winning project.
The decision of the Judges will be final.
BCCHS, at its discretion, may decline to make an award if in the opinion of the Judges, no entry meets a minimum standard.
- Poems must be submitted as a .pdf
- Poems should have a title with the poem.
- No graphics, picture, backgrounds, etc (judging is on the poetry not the appearance).
- Poetry must depict the value of our ranching and cowboy heritage, ie:
- Historical or contemporary ranching and stock-raising practices.
- Figures involved in ranching and stock-raising practices.
- Poetry MUST Rhyme and should have good rhythm and meter.
- Spelling and punctuation will be among the criteria used in judging.
- Previously published poems will not be acceptable.
Entries should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Mike Puhallo Memorial Scholarship” in the subject line.
Entry forms must be submitted as a .pdf
The email must include the poet’s name, address and poem title.
The email must have both the poem and the entry form attached (not embedded or linked) and both need to be attached to the same email.
The email subject line must say “Mike Puhallo Memorial Scholarship” and nothing else.
Entries WILL be DISCARDED if any of the above criteria is not met.
Entries will be received between November 1st and December 31st of each year. Entries received after December 31st, or before November 1st, will not be considered. Judging will take place early in the new year.
Winning contestants will be notified via e-mail
In providing an entry you agree that BCCHS may use its content for display and promotional purposes without restriction.
Print the attached form, SIGN it, scan it, and email it with your poem as per the above instructions, to: email@example.com
Entry deadline December 31st Annually.
Good luck. We look forward to getting your entry.
Supported by the BC Cowboy Heritage Society