An avid photographer and golfer, Syd first came to Williams Lake in 1922 after serving in WWII. He was originally going to say ‘awhile’ but then he met Cordelia, whom he married and fell in love with the community. From the very beginning, Syd was a trailblazer of a business man. He was the owner of the T.A. Moore store and also owned the Oliver Theater in 1929. He was a charter member of the Board of Trade and was elected to be one of the first 3 official commissioners of Williams Lake.