The Museum of the Cariboo Chilcotin is seeking students with interests in history to complete curatorial projects and assist with the operations of the Museum for the summer of 2020.
Title: Museum Assistant
Provides assistance to museum operations by:
- Improving the catalogue records of the Museum collection which includes activities such as: safely handling objects, archives, and photographs; inputting data and images into PastPerfect museum software; and safely rehousing (repackaging) collection items;
- Assisting with research and development of exhibits;
- Visitor assistance through greeting/welcoming visitors and answering inquiries;
- Conducting research to answer in depth inquiries which may include liaising with other local organizations;
- Interpret and conduct tours of local history exhibits as necessary;
- Assist with day to day museum operations including opening and closing the building, working the reception desk, and administrative duties.
- Currently enrolled in and returning to full-time post-secondary studies
- Legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian Citizen, permanent resident or refugee status in Canada) between 16 and 30 years old
- Previous work experience in the cultural heritage or education sector will be considered an asset
- Preference will be given to those enrolled in a relevant field of study such as: Museum studies, history, anthropology, archaeology, classical studies, philosophy, literature, sociology, Indigenous studies, art history, Canadian studies, etc.
Skill and Knowledge Requirements:
- Strong research, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent writing, speaking, and critical thinking skills
- Flexible, resourceful
- Able to work both as part of a team and independently
- Robust knowledge computer software applications such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
Term: Seasonal full-time (40 hours a week) for up to 10 weeks from June to August 2020
Required Documents: Resume, Cover Letter, Copy of Post-Secondary Transcript and/or proof of enrollment in Fall of 2020
Application Deadline: May 20, 2020
Send application documents via e-mail to Alex at email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest – only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position, including but not limited to the wage amount and term of employment, are subject to funding through the Young Canada Works Program and the Canada Summer Jobs Program for 2020.